Sunday 8 May 2011

High Tea at the Victoria Room

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE a high tea. From cute little cakes and scones with cream to exotic teas and the obligatory glass or two of bubbly taken whilst dressed-up in all manner of girly accessories, it is an activity that I just adore. Obviously then, it was with much excitment that I headed to the Victoria Room in Darlinghurst on Saturday afternoon, one of my favourite venues in Sydney.

The Victoria Room is such an opulent setting and if I had to imagine what a high tea set in British India back in the early 20th century was like, then this would be just how I would picture it. The venue itself is dimly lit with candles in morrocan tea glasses of every imaginable colour on every imaginable surface. Silk flocked wallpaper in rich jewel tones, mismatched sofas and arm chairs upholstered in different shades of studded velvet plus potted palms and slowly rotating ceiling fans all work together to create an atmosphere that transports me to another place and another era. One where time stands still, where you can arrive mid-afternoon but find it is well into the night before you head home...

No comments:

Post a Comment