Sunday 22 May 2011

A week sans Eady - Day 1

This morning I had to wake up at an ungodly hour, for a Sunday morning at any rate, to take Eady to the airport. He is off to Melbourne to attend an intensive course on strategic management for senior managers within the retail industry. He is going to be there until Friday and I am missing him already. Who is going to take the rubbish out after all? All jokes aside though, I do feel like the house has conspired with Eady to ensure that I have maximum "absence makes the heart grow fonder" feelings. The bathroom light bulb has blown, the dishwasher appears to have gone to to dishwasher heaven and I have had to remove a hairy spider from the bedroom wall. And it's only Day 1. 

To take my mind off things, I decided to do some baking and cooking after being inspired by some recipes from today's newspapers. Being inspired to do anything at all by the Sunday papers is quite remarkable considering I have been whinging for months now that there is nothing of interest in them anymore. But I wasn't going to question the improbability of today's inspiration and got myself straight to the kitchen instead. I made pear, pecan and maple cakes from the Sunday Telegraph magazine (delicious and very moist) and the pot-roasted racks of lamb with eggplant and figs from the Sun Herald magazine albeit with a couple of slight modifications by way of adding some chopped dates and rice and cooking in a slow-cooker for 8 hours instead of the oven (super comfort food with so much left over that I was able to freeze a couple of containers for busy days over the coming weeks). With the cooking all finished, I am off to take the rubbish out and change a light bulb or two. After that, I might have to partake in a little crumping whilst singing to Beyonce's "Independent Women" at the top of my voice - yeah!

No comments:

Post a Comment